About Marcos Barinas-Uribe
Marcos Barinas-Uribe is an architect and urban planner. He attended The Catholic University of America and The Southern California Institute of Architecture under a Fulbright Scholarship, and completed additional graduate studies at The University of Chile and The National Diplomatic School of the Dominican Republic. He has held different academic administrative positions in the Dominican Republic, such as Director of the Master Program in Tropical Architecture and Coordinator of the Master Program in Sustainable Design. He has also traveled as a Visiting Professor and critic to South Africa, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, and the United States.
He has over 20 years of professional experience in urban and landscape planning, both in the public and the private sector. He has been Director in governmental institutions of the Dominican Republic such as the National Institute of Housing, the National Council of Urban Affairs and the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources. He currently serves as a Consultant in urban planning, transportation and sustainable design for regional ministries and international institutions.
He has received numerous professional and academic international awards such as: The Gold Medal of the Miami Beach Biennial in Public Landscape Architecture; First Prize of the Biennial of Architecture of Santo Domingo; and the Curriculum Innovation Award of the American Collegiate of Schools of Planning and The Lincoln Institute of Land Policy.
- Postgraduate Diploma in International Relationships, Instituto Nacional de Educación Superior Diplomática y Consular, Santo Domingo, DR (2000)
- Diploma in Human Settlements, Housing and Environment, Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile (2000)
- Latin America-Los Angeles Program, Southern California Institute of Architecture, Los Angeles CA (Fulbright Scholar) (1996)
- Master of Architecture, Catholic University of America, Washington DC (Fulbright Scholar) (1996)
- Bachelor of Architecture, Universidad Iberoamericana, Santo Domingo, DR (1992)
Research and publications
Ongoing and upcoming research
Methodology for planning Creative Cities in municipalities of the Dominican Republic (2019-2020)
Dominican Republic National Council of Competitiveness Grant
Guidelines Development on child-friendly housing projects and recommendations for the public and private sector in the Dominican Republic (2017-2018)
Environmental analysis, simulation and digital manufacturing of finishing products and construction systems for non-structural facades (2016-2019)
Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Dominican Republic Grant
Teaching and advising
- ARCH 574: Studio Africa: Mange Negotitations (Fall 2020)