February 28 and March 1, 2019
During these two days, employers from across the country representing the fields of Architecture and Urban and Regional Planning will come to the University of Illinois campus to showcase their firms, build relationships with the university, and interview potential candidates for both summer and full-time employment. Career XPO is hosted by the Illinois School of Architecture and organized through the Undergraduate Office. For information beyond these pages, please contact:
Carl G Lewis
Career XPO Director, Academic Advisor
Assistant Directors: Isidro Carreon, Violet LaBrosse, Shawn Waddell
CAREER XPO SCHEDULE - Tentative
Thursday, February 28
Recruiter check-in and set-up (Your confirmation letter will indicate where to check-in.)
Continental breakfast is available for all registered recruiters at this time.
9:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Career XPO 2018 - I-Hotel (Illinois Ballroom)
Box lunches available for all registered recruiters at this time.
4:30 PM - 6:00 PM
Career XPO Social for all recruiters, students, and faculty - North Lobby
Friday, March 1
Recruiters set-up - I-Hotel (Illinois Ballroom)
9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Career XPO 2019 - I-Hotel (Illinois Ballroom)
Career XPO exhibit halls close
Recruiters, please take down displays, hand in surveys, and check-out
Grad students, seniors, juniors, sophomores, and freshmen Career XPO is for you!
Students are able to interview firms—to ask questions about architecture and its future. For juniors, seniors, and graduate students this is a great opportunity to meet and interview the representatives— many of whom are the decision-makers for hiring. You will also want to sell yourself to them. For freshman and sophomores, this is an exceptional time to find out more about architecture from practitioners, laying the groundwork for future employment.
Mock interviews are a learning tool to prepare students for success in their job interviews. Held on Wednesday, February 27, 2019, at the I-Hotel and Conference Center, a mock interview is a practice interview that will result in valuable feedback from professionals representing local and national firms. Students receive a 15-20 minute interview followed by a 10-15 minute feedback period for interviewers to discuss your performance with you. This review is a great informal opportunity to ask employers what you can do to improve your interviewing skills. You must request and be scheduled for an interview time slot. More information on mock interviews will be forthcoming from the Gargoyle Architecture Honor Society as the event date draws near.
This is a great time to get involved by volunteering to work and meet the employers! Contact Carl Lewis (email@example.com, 217-333-7720) about how you can help.
Wednesday, January 30, 2019 – Ice Cream Social
5:00-6:00 pm, Learn how to approach employers! Get tips on what to wear and what to bring to Career XPO.
Wednesday, February 6, 2019 – Resume Workshop
12:00-1:00 pm, 102A Architecture Bldg – Career Services will show you how to write a resume an employer will notice!
Wednesday, February 13, 2019 – Resume Review
5:00 pm, TBH Review Rooms – Career Center professionals will review your resume prior to the XPO event.
Saturday, February 16, 2019 – Resumes DUE at midnight
You will receive instructions as to how/where to submit your resume.
CAREER XPO 2019 EMPLOYER INFORMATION
EMPLOYER REGISTRATION FORM
The I Hotel and Conference Center
February 28 & March 1, 2019
We recommend that you read the following information carefully. The information below can also be found in .pdf form for printing HERE.
Can take registration until the day of the event, but cannot guarantee space to those who wait that long
Last day to cancel registration with refund; last day to receive discounted fee
Last day to reserve room at I Hotel at the block-room rate
Last day to submit information for our Employer Guide (given to students at XPO)
February 25- February 27
Any shipments must arrive at the I Hotel and Conference Center during this period
NO EARLIER AND NO LATER (see Shipping Guidelines below)
February 28 - March 1, 2019
Career XPO 2019!
EXHIBIT SPACE INFORMATION:
- Your firm will have a 6' x 3' table available for your display. We will make every attempt to honor your pin-up and electrical requests.
- If you plan to bring a large display - larger than 6' x 3' space would allow - please let us know.
- Pin-up is limited so you may want to consider bringing alternatives such as tri-pods.
- On Thursday, the XPO Hall will open at 9:00 am and close at 4:30 p.m.
- On Friday, the XPO Hall will open at 9:00 am and close at 12:00 p.m.
- You should NOT leave valuables unattended at your booth or in the building.
- Each company receives the following: one 6'x3' table and two chairs per table, plus an electrical outlet at each table.
- Wireless Internet is provided at the I Hotel and Conference Center
INTERVIEW SPACE INFORMATION:
- In addition to your exhibit space, there are ample spaces available throughout the conference center for you to arrange personal interviews. A separate lounge area is also provided for recruiters.
- Please be aware that the latest possible date to notify us of a cancellation and receive a full refund is February 4, 2019. If we are notified after this date, payment will not be refunded.
I Hotel and Conference Center
1900 South First Street
Champaign, IL 61820
Book your reservation online HERE.
(Room cancellations must be made 24-hours prior to the arrival date by 4 p.m. to avoid incurring a cancellation fee of one night's stay. The group rate with this reserved block of rooms is available to XPO participants until February 11, 2019 - so make your reservations early!)
101 Trade Center Drive
Champaign, IL 61820
Hilton Garden Inn
1501 S. Neil Street
Champaign, IL 61820
FLYING: Local airport is Williard Airport (CMI). It is approximately a 10-15 minute drive to the I Hotel, or your hotel. Shuttle service is available from your hotel. Please phone the hotel directly ahead of time to reserve your seat.
DRIVING: If driving to Champaign-Urbana, find directions at: http://www.illinois.edu/find/directions.html. A map and legend of the Illinois campus may be found at www.illinois.edu
PARKING: Parking is available at the I Hotel and Conference Center. The Illinois School of Architecture and the Career XPO are not resonsible for tickets or towed vehicles.
- In the event you choose to ship your display materials, please use the following address. We ask that you please arrange for shipping to arrive no earlier than Monday, February 25, 2019.
- Please clearly mark in bold red type all items with your company name, the dates(s) you will be attending, and 'CAREER XPO 2019'
- All items should be addressed as follows (for example):
Illinois School of Architecture
Career XPO 2019
<Your Firm Name>
<Date(s) you are attending>
I Hotel and Conference Center
1900 South First St.
Champaign, IL 61820-7450
(for multiple shipped pieces, number them appropriately, i.e. 'FIRM NAME, 1 of 3', '2 of 3', etc)
- All inquiries regarding shipments should be made through your carrier service. The IHotel cannot verify shipments.
- For return shipments: please pack all items securely and label clearly with the carrier's shipping bill. Be sure to include your company's account number and attach your prepaid return shipping form.